jual kayu murah menerima order bahan

Super simple seitan

Hi everyone, hope you’ve been having a great weekend! Mine has been a good but strange one, I’ve been all over the place seeing family and friends looking at cars, catching up with work and study!

Breakfast on Saturday was a huge bowl full of strawberries with Dorset Cereal High Fibre Muesli and rice milk:

P1020544

I also had a gingerbread coffee with sweet freedom and rice milk.

Saturday I was out at my parents and friends and looking at cars (haven’t bought one yet!) most of the day so I just snacked on a 9 Bar and some apples I had in my bag. When I did get home I had some miso soup followed by a big green juice:

P1020564

This contained cucumber, broccoli, celery, lettuce, pear and ginger.

Dinner both yesterday and this evening featured some of my new home made seitan! Seitan is a vegan protein source made from vital wheat gluten flour. A little while ago I bought some vital wheat gluten from iHerb (can also be purchased in the UK from The Flour Bin) and when I saw this recipe I knew it was time to try it out:

Baked Seitan ‘Sausage’ (makes 3 – 4 servings)

  • 1 1/4 cups of vital wheat gluten
  • 1/4 cup of gram flour
  • 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
  • 2 tsp of vegan vegetable bouillon powder
  • 3/4 cup of water
  • 1 tbsp of soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp of braggs

Pre heat oven to 160. Combine dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls then add wet to dry. Mix together to combine and kneed for a couple of minutes. Place dough into some foil and roll up into a large sausage shape. Bake in the oven for an hour until golden:

P1020469

To store wrap tightly in foil and keep in fridge. I’ve tried freezing some too but I won’t know how well this works until I come to defrost it!

Last night I used some finely sliced seitan in cabbage wraps also containing sun dried tomato high protein hummus, alfalfa sprouts, carrot, yellow pepper and fresh basil alongside some parsnip chips seasoned with herbamare and braggs:

P1020575

P1020607

These were awesome! The seitan was quite firm and chewy which I really liked. All the wrap ingredients went together so well, these were just super tasty!

Dessert was a bowl of Freedom chocolate ice ‘cream’:

P1020618

On Sunday I was up nice and early for my run. I fuelled up with my usual orange and dates and set off. I did just over 7 miles in 1hr 08 minutes with an average pace of 9.38. That’s a big improvement on last weeks 9.45 average pace and considering that I ran a more hilly route today, plus it was freezing and windy I’m absolutely over the moon! :-)

Post run breakfast was another wonderful smoothie containing lots of kale, romaine, frozen cherries, 2 pears, rice milk, maca, matcha green tea powder, spirulina, raw cacao and almond butter topped with flaked almonds and half a bag of bear cocoa cherry pie granola:

P1020632

Today I decided to use up some of my veggies by making a big pan of my favourite lentil and spinach soup. I had a big bowl for lunch followed by some fresh blackberries:

P1020650

I also had another green juice, same as Saturdays but with apple instead of pear and lemon instead of ginger. It was so good, I heart green juice!

Tonight I made a seitan, veggie and millet pilaf. This contained the seitan, 1/2 cup of cooked millet, onion, swiss chard, carrot, yellow pepper and courgette plus some veg stock, dried basil, shoyu and mixed seeds:

P1020662

This was such a delicious, healthy and filling meal! Dessert was some raw 75% cacao ginger chocolate and 2 sliced organic pink lady apples:

P1020681

I bought the chocolate when I was in York last month, I love ginger chocolate!

Have you tried seitan before? What did you think? Obviously its no good if you have any kind of gluten intolerance. I was really impressed with the ease of this recipe, it could be amended to add new flavours and textures. I would love to try and make some spicy seitan sausage! Seitan can also be cooked in a flavoured broth instead of baked, so many ways to try it!

Today I also decided to sign up for the Bupa Great North 10k! Its being held in Gateshead where I was born, and isn’t very far from Durham at all. Its in July and should be great preparation for the Great North Run Half Marathon in September. I’m absolutely buzzing about it! Are you signed up for any races this year? The only race I’ve ever ran was the Great North Run last year (and I’m signed up again for this year, running for Cancer Research UK again too) so I’m really looking forward to running a race with a shorter distance.

Hope you’ve all had a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment