jual kayu murah menerima order bahan

LiveSTRONG - It's More than Lance

In celebration of LiveSTRONG Day, Penn is highlighting the LiveSTRONG team at Penn Medicine. 

Sue Anne Clark physician liaison at Penn Medicine. An avid triathlete, she is the captain for the LiveSTRONG team at Penn Medicine. In this article, she discusses Lance Armstrong, cancer survivorship and her experience as team leader for the Team Penn Medicine/ The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia LiveSTRONG team.

This is the third year I have participated in Philly LiveSTRONG Challenge. This year, thousands of people came to support the foundation LiveSTRONG, founded by Lance Armstrong, a testicular cancer (seminoma) survivor. I was privileged to lead the 2012 Penn Medicine/ The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia team. Our team consisted of pediatricians, cancer researchers leading some of the most promising trials in cancer today, cancer survivors, families, friends, obesity battlers, and people who are there to take on the “challenge” and support survivorship. It’s such an honor to have these people on our team, and I am always inspired with their stories. Some of the programs that benefit from LiveSTRONG include programs for patients at CHOP. The Philly LiveSTRONG Center of Excellence is housed inside of the Abramson Cancer Center (UPENN).

“Pick a Fight” was the LiveSTRONG Challenge theme this year, as it was worn by more than 300 volunteers who donated their time to support many survivors and their families.

Team members can run or walk the 5k or 10k on Saturday. A teammate, who is not a cancer survivor but a survivor of another battle, obesity; started running and chose the LiveSTRONG challenge to be her first race. She lost 100 pounds in the past year with the help of the Penn Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program.

Another team member challenged herself to the 10k. She finished with her son and mother giving her hugs and kisses, a common scene at the finish line at the LiveSTRONG. Another teammate (survivor) looked really good at the challenge. Her sister explained to us how she was giving a short time to live when first diagnosed, and now more than four years later, she is participating in the challenge to support a foundation that has always been near and dear to her heart, LiveSTRONG.  She chimed in “it really matters where you are treated, thanks to Penn."

Don’t “Pick a Fight” with our cycling team. On Sunday the cycling team took to some of the most challenging hills of Pennsylvania. The bike challenge was to take on 10, 20, 45, 50, 75, or 100 miles of Philly's countryside.

Their stories are all inspirational:
“I am a three-time cancer survivor, I figure if I stay upright and fit- I can let Penn Medicine take care of the rest!”

“I have my check-up at the cancer center this week, and I am hoping once I tell my doctor that I just rode 45 miles with my 14-year-old son. He can tell me not to come back for another five to10 years because everything looks great.”

“Proton therapy saved my dear friend’s life, and we are so honored to be a part of this team.”
“My mom had breast cancer and my dad had prostate cancer. They were both treated at Penn and I work at CHOP. This is the team I can represent the best.”

The Abramson Cancer Center Power Stop on mile 10 or mile 88 (on the way back), was sort of a homecoming for the team. Colleagues, friends, and family volunteers were there to support the riders along the route. They offered Reiki massages, food, medical assistance, bike mechanics, personal cheerleaders, and a DJ spinning the tunes! It was their support that kept the riders going to complete the challenge!

Lance Armstrong’s Visit to Penn Medicine

In 2010,  Lance Armstrong visited Penn Medicine to take a tour and meet some of the patients. I had always been indifferent regarding Mr. Armstrong but curious and was happy to take part of the visit.  I saw him in the moment of connecting with other cancer survivors. I was fascinated with his emotional intelligence, more so than his athletic feats.

I believe Lance Armstrong has helped change the way people look at someone with a cancer diagnosis and he has made a “huge difference in the lives of millions of cancer patients.”

I am a committed supporter of LiveSTRONG and its mission. I am consistently inspired by the courage of my LiveSTRONG teammates and I am really looking forward to seeing them again at the 2013 LiveSTRONG Philly Challenge and we invite you to join our 2013 team!

Watch Lance Armstrong’s visit to Penn Medicine in 2010 and see how he interacts with patients at Penn Medicine.

Check out photos from the LiveSTRONG Philly challenge. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment